Frequently Asked Questions
(we're so glad you asked!)
Maybe you've never visited our church or any church, for that matter. We seek to be an open, loving and Christ-centered community of faith. While this FAQ page isn't meant to be like a dating service profile, we hope it gives you a little snapshot of what we're about. We do hope you'll join us.
- What can I expect if I
show up on Sunday morning?
Our worship environment is casual, and we are the same. We want you to feel comfortable and "at home". First Church welcomes you with open arms and we try to help our visitors navigate around here as easily as possible.
You'll find that our community is a very welcoming and open one. When you walk in the door, you'll be greeted by someone from our church who will hand you a worship folder with information about the worship gathering. If you have any questions at all, these are great people to ask - its their job! Being a greeter is also a great way to meet people. If you're new or new-er, contact our Hospitality Coordinator or the worship committee to get on the list!
Our Worship Style
Labeling our style of worship would be difficult, so we'll just say we worship God in a "blended" style. Our music draws on a distinct Church of God musical tradition, the musical tradition of the Church throughout the ages and from contemporary songwriters. We are led by a worship team with a worship leader. However, if you're more traditional in taste, don't let that scare you - we enjoy singing the classic hymns as much as we do newer-style music. We hope you'll find our worship style to be uplifting to your spiritual walk.
Our worship services usually consist of a time of greeting one another, announcements, singing, reading Scripture, an offering, and prayer.
We ALWAYS have a teaching from the Bible at the center of our services. Pastor Bob brings the Word of God on Sunday mornings, as we collectively learn what it means to truly be a follower of Jesus Christ. Our messages talk about how to understand ourselves, each other, God and our world better by learning from the Bible. These messages challenge us to live our lives in a way that honors God more fully.
- What are your shared
beliefs about people, God & the world?
• We believe that the Christian life starts with a decision to believe in the God of Creation and the God of the cross.
• We believe that deciding to follow Christ is a new beginning, in which our old ways of life die away and we trust the Holy Spirit to help make us more like Christ each day.
• We believe that the content of the Bible is our rule of faith and the guidelines for our faith walk, and that it is sufficient for us to know God.
• We believe that the Holy Spirit brings each believer assurance of faith, based on the sacrificial work of Jesus Christ
• We believe that a holy life is lived out of the overflow of blessings we receive from the Holy Spirit
• We believe that the Holy Spirit works in our hearts day by day: filling, cleansing, consecrating, calling and convincing us. • We believe that the our faith community is part of the global body of Christ, the Church.
• We believe that communion, baptism, foot washing, infant dedication and weddings are key moments in our community of faith which exemplify the grace of Christ in a tangible way.
For more information on our affiliation with the Church of God in North America, click here.
Information taken from Meet Us at the Cross by Oral and Laura Withrow.
- What kind of people
make up your church?
Our local body of believers is made up of people just like you. We come from different backgrounds, education, socio-economic situations and worldviews. We are white collar, blue collar, retired, students, and unemployed. We are young, elderly and everything in-between. We are new believers and stalwart saints. We are all the same, yet all of us are different. We are all in need of the saving power of Jesus Christ. We are united in faith. We care about our community. We are learning how to live as a family should. And we ALWAYS have room for one more!
We work together, rejoice together, pray together, mourn together, and support each other. We are far from perfect, but we strive as a family towards the vision that God has given us.
- Is there a place for me
in your community?
Absolutely! You can get started by worshipping with us at either of our weekly gatherings and giving us a chance to get to know you. If you have kids, they can enjoy our children's ministries. Whether you're male or female, there's a Bible study for you to be a part of. If you have certain gifts, you are welcome to volunteer for helping out in various capacities, like childrens ministries, youth ministries or a worship team. We want you to feel fully enfolded into our community!
- Who can I contact for